I think I mentioned recently that when I went to Jo-Ann to buy baby wipe flannel, I got to chatting with the clerk at the cutting table. We were talking about quilts, and seeing as how I was having her do 1/2-yard cuts of 10 different fabrics, she naturally asked if I was planning to make a rag quilt.
It just so happens that I *wasn’t* planning on doing that, until she planted that idea in my head! So I quickly added a few more yards of fabric to the cutting pile, and a devious plan was hatched.
(As an aside – this was the final project made on Frankenmachine, and this was also the day that sent Jeff fleeing from the house as I wailed and gnashed my teeth at that cursed POS.)
I know they’re a total fad and really common, but I must say: I loved this quick little project.
Guided by this awesome tutorial, it came together really quickly (even *with* the sewing machine difficulties). I decided to cut my squares to 7″, with 1/2″ seams, for a finished quilt that was 42″ square. I also omitted the batting, figuring that would be pretty unnecessary in southern California.
I started the day with this:
and ended the evening with the entire thing pieced and the outer edge snipped. I finished the snipping a few days later, then hauled it to the laundromat (at the tutorial-writer’s suggestion) for a hot wash and tumble dry.
This was seriously the easiest thing ever. EVER.
(I love the soft, ruffly edges)
Now it’s stored away in a bin with other odds-and-ends we’ve made/received for Hoopling, and I’ll bust it out once we get to California. The only problem is that since it came together so quickly and easily, now I want to make about a million more! 🙂