The iPod that I got for Christmas was my first one, ever. It’s BRIGHTPINK and shiny and smooth and beautiful and I love it, and I never ever want anything to happen to it. So I purchased a clear silicone case for it. But that wasn’t enough.
So I started searching on Ravelry for a case pattern. I knew just what I wanted – sock yarn, double-thick (more cushioning), a secure little strap to hold it closed, a pocket on the front for my earbuds, and a hole in the bottom for the hold button.
You know where this is going…there was nothing out there that was *quite* like what I was picturing. So I sketched out a little schematic, made a few calculations and measurements and spent a lot of time turning it over and visualizing it in my head. So I pulled out a scrap of Trekking XXL (the blue/purple) and one of Lorna’s Laces Shepherd Sock (the semisolid blue). The next day, I had a prototype completed:
It seemed pretty much perfect.
My Nano lived cozily inside (pictured here without the silicone skin), and the pocket is the perfect size for my earbuds + cord.
(you can sort of see, also, how the lining layer is knitted in that same contrasting color I used for the pocket).
I found the perfect button in my button-box:
I was even able to work in the hole for that hold button:
(kind of hard to see, but easy to access by feel)
For a first run, I don’t think it turned out too badly. But you know how I am – as soon as I finished my prototype, I started thinking… “what if I decrease a couple more stitches right at the turn?” “what if I make that strap just a bit wider?” “what if I use a button without a shank?”
So just a few hours later…
Wider strap, shankless button, 2 fewer stitches on the inner layer. And a different sock yarn this time – recognize those leftovers? It’s the LL again, this time paired with my remnant from my blueberry pie waffle socks. Every time I look at it (which is frequently), it reminds me of my happy time in Minnesota 🙂
I’m happier with this one than I was with the first, but we’re still not 100% there. I am not that wild about the decreases on the strap, and I need to come up with a simpler way to join the two layers at the hold button hole; right now the inner layer slips apart from the outer.
(with silicone skin this time)
But as I said, I’m getting there. Designing is so new to me – it’s really fun to twist my brain around and see what it can come up with! (mostly just brainjuice and dust, but I guess there’s an idea or two in the muck as well)
PS > Thank you, everyone for your comments on my new layout! It’s my first time fooling around with it (I’d been using the same theme since I started using WordPress in Feb. 2008. It was time for a change! 🙂